Datsun

By lamrou - March 05, 2017

This place is a pretty bombtastic place that I haven't been to in a while, so I've come back to see if it was a just fluke the last few times I came or if Datsun really do work up magic in their kitchen.

Datsun is an Asian fusion, small plates type of restaurant that opened up right next to El Camino. So when you've decided you don't want to wait in their ridiculously long line you can go on over to Datsun on the other side.

The first time I came, half the menu wasn't available because they were about to close soon so I got their steamed chicken buns with the most amazing virgin cocktail one has ever had; I can't even tell you what it is because it was just a random concoction that was whipped up then & there, and you're just asked if you want sweet or sour. The steamed chicken buns are life & the cutest things ever! It's just all the right kinds of textures of everything paired together to make perfection.



Second time I came I got a few different things & split them with a friend so we could try bits of different things. We got the cod lettuce wrap, chicken skewers with peanut sauce & I believe we got the shrimp burgers. Yeah, they made burgers out of shrimp. Don't ask me how because I could care less I just want to eat those again. Look at that crispy cod lettuce wrap thou mmmm.



I went back another time & we got a bunch of things again but I don't really remember so I'm back again to try new things & update my brain on what I think of this place so I can recommend to friends looking for places to eat. Also can I say that all of Ottawa is taken for granted when looking for good restaurants because all everyone knows is the Byward Market & that's where you can find Ottawa's pretty shitty restaurants. Don't get me wrong, there are some good spots there but EVEN BETTER spots in Lansdowne, the Glebe, Wellington, Elgin and so many places around the city. Broaden your reach & expand your palette people.



Anyways back to Asian Fusion. This is what I got this time when I went back.



I finally got the ramen & it was better than I thought it was going to be. I went with a friend & we just shared everything; we also had the shrimp burgers but I was so hungry I didn't get a picture with it & dove right in to eating it. The shrimp burgers & steamed chicken buns are the ones I recommend to everyone for their first time there because those are my favourites on the menu. 

The restaurant recommends sharing because their plates are sharing plates but you can eat by yourself. Its nice to share though because then you get to try a bit of everything. The ramen looked like the ones in the anime do with the little white circle with the pink swirl which apparently is like some type of fish; it doesn't taste like anything but was cute.

We got seated at the kitchen so you could see everything as it's being made & we got served right away when our food was done because we were right by the chefs. Their restaurant is a open concept type of style which I like sometimes because you know chefs are way more careful with people watching them.

I definitely recommend you to check out Datsun if you haven't gone before because I think it may be one of my top 20 restaurants in Ottawa. I will try to come up with a good list of 20 restaurants in Ottawa when I have been to enough places & seen what's actually good every time I go there.

till next time

xoxo

lamrou life

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments