Maine

By lamrou - May 12, 2017

Maine, oh Maine. I came, I saw, I stayed an extra day & can I say it was an adventure. I was soo happy to be back home & got super homesick at the end of the trip. I keep referring to this trip as just Maine compared to the city I was in, Lewiston, because a lot of people don't know what Maine is let alone Lewiston. I also spent my time in the state of Maine going to different cities such as Lewiston, Portland, Brunswick, Auburn, Freeport, Lisbon Falls & Cape Elizabeth.

I was expecting Maine to be some cute small towns like you see in those movies such as Footloose & Safe Haven but realized that New Hampshire was more what I was expecting & Maine was filled with smaller towns. Nevertheless, it was still a nice chill vacation which was what I needed at the time plus I got to see my fams & the new baby I haven't met yet.

The trip there was quite a mission because I scored a sweet deal to get there but it was totally worth it. One of the few things I learned was that you must do some proper research because things most likely are different in other countries. I flew from Toronto to Boston & then got a Greyhound ticket to Portland, Maine. When I got to the bus station, I learned there were other buses besides Greyhound that could take me to Maine as well. If I did my research even better I would have found out that a Greyhound could drop me off in Lewiston & I could've walked to their house but hey you live & you learn.

the view flying out of Toronto

Anyways my trip, I was there from the 26th of April to May 1st but then my flight got cancelled so I had to stay another day. So I didn't do much the first day I got there, because I had been travelling since 5am & made it to my destination at about 5pm so about a 12 hour day. I was presented with a lovely surprise of a car that my lovely family rented for me to use for my week there because its a mission to get anywhere without driving which was I was beyond grateful for & dunno how I would've done & seen the things I did without a car.



My official first day there, my aunt, her baby & I went for breakfast at iHop (a place I have heaveily shitted on before because the last time I went I got something super not good but now I know that I lovely it & will probably mission out to the one in Niagara Falls to enjoy the lovely American restaurant). I got the Chicken Florentine Crepe which was amazing & sweet tea which was absolute shit. I realized maybe it's Maine that doesn't know how to make this special Sweet Tea that Southern people rave about but in Maine Sweet Tea is Iced Tea filled with sugar & Iced Tea is watery af with no sugar. After iHop, we just ran some errands she needed to do & then I just went on a drive getting lost while discovering their state full of trees & water. I ended up in Lisbon Falls which wasn't much at all but I got some cute earrings from a store I think is called Eastcraeft, then ended up walking around Brunswick & ended up heading home to get some take out sushi from Lewiston for dinner.




Our nightly routine consisted of watching some movies on Netflix once my aunt put her baby to bed. I was mostly visiting for her to get a break & to chill out because she didn't know much people considering she moved there about a year ago as well as been busy with her baby so I was there to give her a good chill week. We watched foreign movies because French was her strong suit & I didn't mind reading English subtitles. Over the week, we watched quite a few but the ones I recommend are An African Doctor & Palm Trees in the Snow, We Are Family is cute & funny too.

Day 2 in Maine we missioned out to Portland which is their capital city & where all things American exist including good restaurants and stores, or so I thought. We were hungry so we went to get lunch as soon as we got there & I was kinda disappointed and was wishing I chose somewhere else to eat but it is what it was. Eventide Co was where we had a lunch & I came to Maine to see family & to eat some good seafood, specifically lobster & sushi. I got a lobster roll & sablefish with a little rice & some side dressings with homemade chips with tartar sauce that me & my aunt shared, she had the fried fish sandwich.


The lobster was not my fav at all. It was called Brown Butter Lobster Roll & the brown butter & whatever else they seasoned the lobster with ruined it for me. It wasn't horrible, just meh, not worth getting even though it was the most ordered thing there & popular dish. The sablefish however was really good & made up for the lobster roll; I just wish it was more.


After lunch, we went for a walk around the downtown area looking for this wall with graffiti that said PORTLAND but I couldn't seem to find but we did however find another wicked graffiti wall.



This post has already gotten so long so I will just add some more pictures for my trip and think if your looking for a nice chill vacation, that you should visit Maine but just go in the summer time because you can do & see more since that's their busiest season. Make sure you have a car while your there as well as some change for those toll fees unless your used to that; thank god Ontario has no tolls. I didn't get to eat some good seafood unfortunately but one place that had good lobster rolls, (i had a bite of the sandwich, it wasn't what I ordered) like really good rolls was Linda Bean's Perfect Maine in Freeport. Enjoy the pictures & watch my mini vlog of my trip on my youtube channel, Lamrou Life.








Those are some goodies that I got from different places around Maine as well as Boston when we drove down for a day trip. I'm now trying think where I want to go for my birthday or the end of the new year because I need a break but not a long one because i will forever have the travel bug.

till next time

xoxo

lamrou

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments